How to Install
Some of our decal sets have a PRE-MASK LAYER on them.
You must separate the stickers without removing the LAYER MASK using a craft knife or scissors.
Save the LAYER MASK on the individual stickers as it will help you install them.
Store all the decals flat (un-rolled) in a cool, dry place and make sure film and surface temperature is between 55° and 85° Fahrenheit. (13° to 32° Celsius).
As soon as you can, open (un-roll them if rolled up). Leave them lay flat until installation. Inspect the contents. If you see any tunneling (this is where the decal and application tape move independently from the backing paper due to being rolled up) simply peel back the decal from the paper and flatten it back down on the paper using a squeegee. You may notice that some decals come with a clear or semi-transparent application tape over the decal. This is sometimes used when it can aid installation of the decals. The clear application tape has a textured matte finish instead of the smooth glossy finish of the decal underneath it. Removal of the application tape is necessary and must be done as the last step after installation.
PREPARING FOR INSTALLATION
Proper cleaning and preparation prior to decal application is critical to the success of the application process.
- Clean surface of all dust, dirt, wax and contaminants with liquid dish soap and water, then rinse completely clean with warm water.
- Use a clean, soft preferably lint-free cloth to dry surface.
- Lastly, clean surface again with Isopropyl (rubbing) Alcohol with a clean, soft preferably lint-free cloth to avoid re-contamination.
NOTE: If your application surface was recently painted be sure the paint is completely dry or gas bubbles could form under the decal.
Installation of all decals should be done out of direct sunlight and wind in a clean cool environment for best results and in the temperature range of 55° to 85° Fahrenheit. (13° to 32° Celsius).
Now you are ready to install your decals. You will need a squeegee with a clean smooth edge. Dry installation is usually sufficient for most applications. Wet application can be used for beginners or objects with compound curves. For wet application mix 2 drops of liquid dish soap with 16oz of water in a spray bottle and lightly agitate or for best results use our application solution. When applying spray the adhesive and application surface only. Do not get the backing paper wet.
While different application techniques can be used we suggest using the Dry Method for Installation. Dry Method is better for instalation, because the vinyl have Air Chanels to chase air out.
SOME OF HIGH-QUAITY STICKERS IS MADE OF 3 PARTS
- The top layer is the TRANSFER TAPE or PRE-MASK. *
- The middle layer is the ACTUAL VINYL STICKER.
- The bottom layer is the LINER/BACKING.
* The Stickers that comes with premask tape, are one big sticker with separate elements, or one big sticker that must stay at same position as its look on backing paper. Also we use premasking tape at letterings.
VINYL STICKER INSTALLATION INSTRUCTIONS
TOP HINGE METHOD - BEST FOR SOME SMALL DECAL APPLICATION
1. Pre-fit or measure where you want your decal to be. Then tape in place using regular masking tape. Place your tape on the top edge of the decal. (Fig. 1) Now allign, center and/or level the decal.Once your decal is lined up correctly completly tape off the top edge to make the hinge. (Fig. 2)
2. Peel the bottom WAXY LINER layer away from the DECAL (and PRE-MASK LAYER if any) starting atthe opposite side of the masking taped hinge, and slowly remove it completly. (Fig. 2)Do not let the decal touch the surface yet or it will stick and result in a poor application.
3. At this time you can use the wet application method if desired Wet method is suggested for beginners and larger decals. For wet application spray adhesive side of the decal and surface with a fine mist of application solution. Be sure to completly coat the area. (Fig 3)
4. While still holding the DECAL away from the application surface, using your squeegee, start from the side with the tape hinge and gently work down from the tape hinge, and squeegee down the decal. Use long overlapping strokes to ensure no air gets trapped under the decal .(Fig. 4)
5. Use your squeegee again and apply pressure from the middle to the outward sides (Fig. 5), this will remove any remaining air or application fluid. If you used application solution let sit for a while so that the adhesive can begin to set up.
6. If you have a PRE-MASK layer you can slowly and carefully remove it now. While removing if you see some vinyl start to come up with the PRE-MASK lay it back down, squeegee, and wait a few minutes and try again. Prick any air bubbles with a pin and rub down. Be sure that outer edges of decal are rubded down smoothly and all air or liquid is forced out. This is essential for proper adhesion. (Fig. 6)
7. Now that the decal is applied, and any PRE-Mask is removed, allow 24-48 hours for the adhesive to completly set up. Low heat or sunlight can speed up the curing time. If there are any remaining bubbles under the decal they can be pricked with a pin and rubbed down to release trapped air or water.
CENTER HINGE METHOD - BEST FOR LARGE DECAL APPLICATION (RECOMMENDED METHOD)
1. Align the graphic on the surface, and tape it in place. Place a long strip of masking tape vertically across the center of the graphic.
2. Pull the film away from the liner all the way to the long strip of tap. Carefully cut off the liner.- For wet application spray adhesive side of decal and surface liberally.
3. Allow the part of the graphic near the center tape to lie against the surface. Gently hold the rest of the graphic away from the surface.
4. Begin at the center and stroke up.
5. Return to the center and stroke down.
6. Move the squeegee about 2 inches left. Repeat Steps 6 & 7 across the graphic, allowing more of the graphic to lay against the surface as you work to the left.
7. Remove the remaining masking tape. Lift the right side of the film and remove remaining liner.
8. Repeat steps 5, 6, & 7 across the other side of the graphic.
9. Re-stroke the outer 3 inches of the entire graphic to ensure good edge adhesion.